In our San Miguel Centre we impart both cycles of Infant Education:
- First cycle: 2 year old Infants. (Not direct-grant).
- Second cycle: 3, 4 and 5 year old Infants. (Direct-grant).
The main objective at this stage consists in achieving that our students acquire the necessary confidence to become more self-sufficient every day, in a joyful, close and encouraging environment, but most importantly by means of professionals committed to the LK Project and their families.
- Monday to Thursday from 08:30 to 13:00 hours and from 15:00 to 17:00 hours.
- Fridays from 08:30 to 13:00 hours and from 14:00 to 15:00 hours.
- Dinner: The students at this stage they get dinner service, as well as special diets, in two turns, according to the timetable and the afterschool activity of their level: first turn at 13:00 hours and second turn at 14:00 hours. The younger ones (2 year old Infants), as well as the 3 year old Infants who require it, will always use the first dinner shift, so they can enjoy over an hour of break-time. During lunch, the students are supervised by their teachers all the time, in order to extend the education and learning of good habits beyond the classrooms.
- Permanence: For the Infant stage we offer the permanence service outside class-time, this is, from 07:30 to 08:30 in the mornings, and from 17:00 to 18:30 hours in the evenings, from Monday to Thursday, and from 15:00 to 17:30 hours on Fridays.
The global character of this stage implies that the work environments appear in a globalised and inter-dependant manner. Beyond this aspect, we use specific methodologies to teach reading and writing. At this stage we support a global method – phonological, where the students, through the association of sound with graphical symbols, will end up reading and writing almost to perfection by the time they finish their Infant Education.
We support a bilingual methodology since the age of 3 years old to encourage and strengthen the English language to the maximum during those ages.
The spatial organisation is mixed, working as a large group, individually and by corners, establishing in this last aspect, weekly challenges as means of motivation.
We use manipulative materials of ludic, logic – mathematic, artistic or nature related, music or environmental character. In the same way, the students have specific sessions of English workshops to enrich the oral part of the language and all the classrooms are equipped with an IT corner so they can work the new technologies daily.
Over 80% of the material used to develop the classes in this stage is elaborated by the teachers themselves, providing the Centre with its own and unique character with reference to the material. We always start working from learning situations close to the student, creating an endless number of activities around it.
The afterschool activities at the Infant stage try to be fun and educational at the same time. Aware of the importance for everyone, both families and teachers, we give to the time the students have available outside class-time, and with the purpose of helping the orientation of the most convenient activity for them, the Centre offers a group of activities along the course called Infant afterschool Activities, which enhances the development of an integral formation, both on a student level and as a class-group level, among the following by levels:
- 3 and 4 year old Infants: body expression, sport coordination, cooperative games, English speaking and art workshop.
- 5 year old Infants: body expression, sport coordination, cooperative games, music and movement, and initiation to ICT.
With this project we encourage the practice of both competences, and easing that way the non-biased choice in Primary of the activities both sportive and artistic. All of it is independent of the English workshop, which is compulsory for every level in the School. In the same way, this offer is compatible with other private activities common in Infants (Swimming, Tennis and Sowing).
Within the teaching time our students can also enjoy another series of activities destined to develop their formation, aside from the purely academic. At the Infant Education stage we try to wake up the curiosity of our students for the world that surrounds them, participating in activities outside the classroom; activities like fun visits to museums, mountain excursions, theatres, Christmas festivals, Carnival and the Day of the Canary Islands, week of the professions, traveling book, storytelling, sport-cultural week, nativity scene visits, Autumn party, Summer party, bouncy castles, cooking workshops, school orchard, etc.
Not everything is studying! During the month of July, after the intense academic year and the great effort undertaken by students, comes the most enjoyable time of the School. Our Infant students, since 2 years of age, have a privileged spot within the LKS Summer School: Handicrafts, games and activities in English, swimming pool, beach, bouncy castles and a long etc, with the purpose of our younger students enjoying their School with their classmates and so discover “the other Luther King”.